Looks like a burn, feels like a burn, must be....
I noticed on Sunday I had an L-shaped red mark on my upper left arm. It didn't hurt, so I thought it was just my skin being sensitive. But two days later, it started filling with fluid, began burning, and actually started to look like a burn. But I thought surely I would have noticed if I had burned myself on my upper arm, so I decided to stop in the Infirmary to have it checked out.
When I called to make the appointment, I told the receptionist the reason for my visit was something that looked like a burn. She asked the normal questions: Where was it? How long had I had it? And how did I burn myself?
To the last question, I replied, "I'm not sure."
She was surprised, "You don't know how you burned yourself?"
"No."
Curtly, she said, "Well, be here by 3:15 and the doctor will take a look." I could just imagine her hanging up the phone and thinking, "College kids. I wonder what she was doing this weekend."
After an hour of waiting, the doctor took a quick look and said, "That's contact dermatitis."
Translation: poison ivy.
The only time I thought I may have encountered poison ivy was was running on a wooded path last Thursday, and I didn't think that poison ivy usually grew to heights over four feet. Though, I suppose it could have been growing on something over four feet. Anyhow, I had been talking with some friends a few weeks ago about whether or not I was allergic to poison ivy because I had never experienced it. Being a biologist, I said I was tempted to test my reaction by intentionally rubbing poison ivy on my skin and observing my reaction. Thankfully, I don't have to do that now.

2 Comments:
Typical.
The waxy residue on the leaf can transfer to material such as pants, gloves, or a shirsleeve, and from there touch your skin. Why your pants were on your shoulder is another question. Maybe someone else had poison ivy on their hands and tapped you on the shoulder. How rude.
PS
Were you burned by acid or something like that?
Post a Comment
<< Home